Archive for March, 2008

Mar 18 2008

Study: After hormone therapy, new cancers arise

Published by under Anti Aging - Hormones

The first follow-up of a landmark study of hormone use after menopause shows heart problems linked with the pills seem to fade after women stop taking them, while surprising new cancer risks appear.

That heart trouble associated with hormones may not be permanent is good news for millions of women who quit taking them after the government study was halted six years ago because of heart risks and breast cancer.

But the new risks for other cancers, particularly lung tumors, in women who had taken estrogen-progestin pills for about five years puzzled the researchers and outside experts.

Those risks “were completely unanticipated,” said Dr. Gerardo Heiss of the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, lead author of the follow-up analysis. Continue Reading »

No responses yet

Mar 18 2008

IODINE IS VITAL FOR GOOD HEALTH

By Dr. James Howenstine, MD.
November 5, 2005

Lack of iodine is widespread in the United States today. For many years iodine was added to bread in generous quantities which prevented iodine deficiency. Each slice of bread contained 150 mcg. of iodine filling the whole days RDA of iodine In 1960 the average diet consumed about 1 mg. of iodine daily with bakery products accounting for about 75 % of the total. This quantity of iodine was enough to decrease the thyroid glands ability to absorb radioactive iodine and it was also sufficient to prevent excess release of thyroid hormone thus preventing many cases of hyperthyroidism (Grave’s Disease). Continue Reading »

No responses yet

Mar 18 2008

Sorting Through the Choices For Menopause Hormones

March 11, 2008; 

Excerpt from the Wall Street Journal

Amid all the confusion over hormone-replacement therapy(HRT) for women, one key aspect is often overlooked: Not all HRT products are the same.

The big Women’s Health Initiative that has been generating headlines since 2002 studied women using Premarin and Prempro, both made by Wyeth, which were the state-of-the-art hormone drugs many years ago. Today, estrogen and progesterone are available in forms that are much closer to what women lose in menopause. While the Food and Drug Administration has said it thinks all HRT products pose the same risks, a growing number of doctors and patients prefer the newer varieties. Continue Reading »

No responses yet

Mar 18 2008

Grumpy Old Men: Maybe It’s A Question of Testosterone

February 26, 2008;

They’re bullish on testosterone here at the 6th Annual World Congress on the Aging Male.

Physicians and researchers from around the world gathered to review the latest findings on what low levels of the male hormone means for men, how replacing it might help and why it hasn’t caught on broadly.

“If we had a drug that could restore sexual function in men, make them stronger, build their bones, reduce fat and get rid of the blues, you’d say, ‘Oh my God, why doesn’t everybody know about it?’ ” says Abraham Morgentaler, a urologist at Harvard Medical School and director of the Men’s Health Boston clinic. “There is a drug like that — but the public associates testosterone with cheating and illicit behavior and the fact that 40 years ago, it was thought to give people prostate cancer.” Continue Reading »

One response so far

Mar 03 2008

Creatine Monohydrate

What exactly is Creatine?

Creatine (Cr) is a naturally occurring amino acid found in muscle tissue of humans and animals. It plays an important role in fueling muscles. The human body has 100 to 115 grams of creatine stored in the form of creatine phosphate or phosphocreatine. Approximately 95% of the body’s creatine supply are found in the skeletal muscles. The remaining 5% are scattered throughout the rest of the body, with the highest concentrations in the heart, brain and testes. Creatine is easily absorbed from the intestinal tract into the bloodstream. When dietary consumption is inadequate to meet the body’s needs, a limited supply can be synthesized from the amino acids arginine, glycine and methionine. This creatine production occurs in the liver, pancreas and kidneys. Continue Reading »

No responses yet

Supply of hospital pharmacies operating externally due to cost savings will continue to grow all over the next years. Even today, 90% of all pharmacies pribolnichnyh organized in cooperation provisioning This shows that the Canadian pharmacy online has become not take seriously the business partner compared with the pharmaceutical industry. However, the development of recent years shows that the industry sees its price registration stronger with the number of sales, thus strengthening the competitiveness of supplying hospital pharmacies in the long term due to more efficient logistics and a lot of sales.